All Results in topics contributed by Thames Library Staff

showing 1-50 results of 65 [
]
Homepage for site
Hauraki Herald reporter Marilyn Molloy meets a Thames woman who is passionate about organic farming and sustainability. Her story appeared in the Hauraki Herald on 21 January, 2011.
Thames Heritage Week was back and bigger than ever in 2011 and again "A Pinch o' Salt" entertained library customers. Check out the photos and video below.
Thames Library celebrated Library Week 2010 by taking a bit of the library to the mall (Goldfields Mall, that is). Library staff Nena Courtney and Fiona Wasiolek manned a mini-Library
Help us collect information about the streets of Thames.
This beautiful church stands proudly on the north-eastern corner of Mackay and Mary Street, in Thames, with the church hall adjacent along Mackay Street. The parsonage (which is now the
Rug Up & Read was launched in 2009 and is run annually by the Thames-Coromandel District Libraries across the Peninsula. It is an incentives-based reading programme for adults that seeks
MAUREEN McCollum was born in Paeroa in 1938, the granddaughter of former mayor William Marshal. Her story, as told to reporter Jill Cleave, was published in the Hauraki Herald on
ENTER the Yesteryear Barn and you enter another world, a world with a vast collection of old fashioned kitchenware, stock cars dating back to the 1950s, farm machinery and midget
THAMES resident Paul Heffernan is a man of many talents. The former primary school principal has dabbled in a variety of creative mediums, including illustrating children’s books, producing humorous sport
SITTING at the kitchen table with his latest piece of fiction within reach, author Peter Blakeborough says it is important to never judge a book by its cover. His story
The Hauraki Coromandel is full of characters - people who influence the lives of those around them, strive to fulfil almost impossible dreams, or just put smiles on the faces
THERE’S definitely more then meets the eye to Thames bed and breakfast owner, novelist and awardwinning carriage driver Vicky English. Her story appeared in the Hauraki Herald on 5 July
Heritage Week 2010 was celebrated by Thames Library with a number of events and displays.
Hauraki Herald reporter meets a woman who is moving on after two decades of being there for new mums. This story was published in the Hauraki Herald on April 5,
Hauraki Herald reporter Gillian O’Neill meet the mother of what is believed to be the first set of triplets born in the Hauraki district for about 30 years. Her story
Hauraki Herald reporter Gillian O’Neill meets a retired Thames woman who enjoys life out on the open road.
Hauraki Herald reporter Gillian O’Neill meets a first-time novelist whose life journey has taken him all over the world but who has a soft spot for his hometown of Tairua.
Hauraki Herald reporter Jill Cleave meets a Ngatea identity and finds out the reason behind his collection of old cars and tractors. Her story appeared in the Hauraki Herald on
Perry Dovell, dedicated advocate for the rights of our furry friends, talked to Hauraki Herald reporter Gillian O'Neill about his work at with the SPCA. His story appeared in the
Hauraki Herald reporter Jill Cleave talks with charismatic Waihi Fire Chief, Moe Stevens. Her story appeared in the Hauraki Herald on 18 March 2011.
Hauraki Herald reporter Jill Cleave talked with Whiritoa man Jim Green, who has developed an extraordinarily strong bond with the English town of Salisbury. This story appeared in the Hauraki
Hauraki Herald reporter Gillian O’Neill meet a long-time Thames resident and business owner who is keen to dispel a few myths about his beloved Freemasons. Her story appeared in the
Prominent Thames draper James Marshall, in the high Victorian style of the time, built this fine old house also known as Norfolk Lodge in 1877.  Originally it was one of
This building was constructed in 1903 on land donated by Brother H.D. Stewart and designed by architect Brother W.H. Lucas.  It was originally consecrated as Lodge Sir Walter Scott Number
Tararu has strong connections back to the migration of the Tainui people to New Zealand and was settled by Maori.  In Marutuahau times, Tararu was the scene of Te Apurangi's successful
A good example of Victorian architecure, the house dates from around 1900.
Built in 1880, this is one of the oldest houses in Tararu.
St John's Church was built for Henry Lawlor, so that he could continue to take divine service in Tararu.
This house is a good example of the residential boom days at Tararu and the growth of the wealth of Thames as a commercial centre as the gold returns declined.
The Tararu school was built in 1877 by Mr J J O'Briens, to the design of Henry Allwright, the Auckland Education Board architect.
On 27th July 1867 James Mackay, civil commissioner for the Hauraki district, concluded an agreement with Te Hoterini Taipari, Raiki Whakarongatai and Rapana Maunganoa.  This agreement secured the mineral rights
Both 'Coniston' and 'Thurlston' are described as substantial timber Californian bungalows.  Built around 1913-14, both were possibly designed by the same architect, Selwyn Goldsbrow.  Twenty-five pages of specifications formed the
     Both 'Coniston' and 'Thurlston' are described as substantial timber Californian bungalows.  Built around 1913-14, both were possibly designed by the same architect, Selwyn Goldsbrow.  Twenty-five pages of specifications
Cyrus Joseph Brown arrived from Sheffield, England in December 1863, and became an apprentice builder in Auckland.  Moving to Thames in 1867, he married his cousin Mary Anne Darkin and
The Brian Boru was one of over one hundred hotels in Thames during the gold rush era.
Built in the early days of the goldfield (1867-1868) as a single story house by J. McDonald, a lawyer who later became the first democratically elected Mayor.
(Also known as 'Superior Diary'). This kauri building, erected in 1868, is typical of the high stud commercial architecture of the period. It was originally built and occupied by William
This house is built in Victorian gothic style with its steeply pitched gable roofs and highly decorated bargeboards.  It is said to have come from Parawai, moved to its present
Both Shortland and Grahamstown Stations were completed in 1898, in time for the opening of the rail link from Paeroa, linking Thames via Te Aroha to Auckland.  Opened on 19th
Originally the home of Reverend Vicesimus Lush, Vicar of St George's Anglican Church, this building was erected in 1871 with Lush's profits from the Caledonian Mine.    It became known
This church, designed and built entirely by Maori in 1886, replaced the 1837 Mission Station on the hill above.  The Mission Station was built on 300 acres gifted by local
Up until 1868 the Kauaeranga Pa beach-landing site provided shipping access for the Thames goldfield.  The Shortland wharf located close by this Pa was built to meet the demands of
The imposing Bank of New Zealand building stood proudly on the corner of Pollen and Sealey Streets.