Preview revision #1: view live Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Parawai Road, Thames

Topic: Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Parawai Road, Thames

Topic type: Place

This church, designed and built entirely by Maori in 1886, replaced the 1837 Mission Station on the hill above.  The Mission Station was built on 300 acres gifted by local Maori to the C.M.S. at Herewaka ('a safe mooring place for canoes').  Today the church is of course tapu.  The church grounds are an urupa and the whole complex is located on a waahi tapu site.  Notable goldming era Maori, Wiremu Turipona, the church's first Maori minister, his wife Rebecca and Parata Te Mapu, another Maori minister, are buried beside the church.  In 1964 Jack and Taka (Tuck) Robson of Ngati Maru, carried out extensive restoration work on the then derelict building.

Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Parawai Road, Thames


City:Thames, New Zealand