Topic: Brunton House, 210 Parawai Road, Thames
Prominent Thames draper James Marshall, in the high Victorian style of the time, built this fine old house also known as Norfolk Lodge in 1877. Originally it was one of six noted gentlemen's residences in Parawai (and is the only one remaining).
In those days Parawai was a very fashionable area, and the main thoroughfare for Thames to the south over the first Kauaeranga Bridge. The Parawai area, with its public gardens and this house with its specially laid out grounds, were both noted for their elegant social occasions.
Over the years the house has been home to a number of prominent locals, including the 1909 Mayor F.H. Claxton, culminating in the last Mayor of the Thames Borough (1975) Wallace (Wally) Brunton, whose family name this house now carries.