Topic: Sir Walter Scott Lodge (Masonic), 415 Mackay Street, Thames
This building was constructed in 1903 on land donated by Brother H.D. Stewart and designed by architect Brother W.H. Lucas. It was originally consecrated as Lodge Sir Walter Scott Number 533 S.C. (Scottish Constitution) on 26th January 1904, and later as Sir Walter Scott Number 15 New Zealand constitution. It was the earliest lodge in the district.
This design is striking for its simplicity and, although the original tongue and groove matai panelling has had new lining placed over it, the original proportions of the building remain.
It has recently been used an as accountant's office and living quarters. It is presently (2011) being used as a Language School.