Topic: Shortland Wharf, Jellico Crescent, Thames
Up until 1868 the Kauaeranga Pa beach-landing site provided shipping access for the Thames goldfield. The Shortland wharf located close by this Pa was built to meet the demands of the increasing population and trade.
With the establishment of Grahamstown and the building of competing wharves to the north, Shortland lost passenger and goods trade but developed into the hub of the Thames fishing industry. Shortland is now the only remaining functional wharf built during the gold era.