Topic: Shortland Railway Station
Both Shortland and Grahamstown Stations were completed in 1898, in time for the opening of the rail link from Paeroa, linking Thames via Te Aroha to Auckland. Opened on 19th December 1898, this line had taken 20 years to complete. Trade for this station included tourists and visitors who arrived by boat and took the rail to Te Aroha to visit the hot springs at the domain.
The first stationmaster was Jack Harbidge who lived at 200 Queen Street, across the road.
With the closure of the Grahamstown Station, Shortland became the Thames Railway Station. The station functioned until 1991 when changes in industry and governmental regulation saw the last goods train pull out.
The station is now the headquarters of Ngati Maru. Ngati Maru have carried out extensive restorative work and the once sadly neglected building now appears as it was at its zenith. The goods shed behind is also an extremely rare example of railway architecture.