Topic: 300 Queen Street
Built in the early days of the goldfield (1867-1868) as a single story house by J. McDonald, a lawyer who later became the first democratically elected Mayor.
Unusually, the kitchen was noted as the best room in this dwelling and it is probably that it is here that Sir George Grey, avid supporter of Thames and goldmining, was entertained to dinner.
After McDonald, who service two terms as Mayor, a second storey was added in the 1890s. As the development between Grahamstown and Shortland filled in the town, additions such as the second storey reflect the commercial success of Thames at that time.