Topic: W Culpitt, Saddler - 218 Pollen Street
(Also known as 'Superior Diary'). This kauri building, erected in 1868, is typical of the high stud commercial architecture of the period. It was originally built and occupied by William Culpitt, saddler, who immigrated to New Zealand in 1864 and later set up business in Thames.
After the turn of the century, the building was converted into a Maori boarding house known as 'Royals'. The great 'flu epidemic of 1918 devastated Royals and many died, 16 in one day.
1920 saw Frank Winder purchase and turn the building into an Austin agency garage.
In 1950 it was changed into a dairy by the new owner Mr Rolfe. It's present owners (2006) refurbished it in 1972 at which time the original Culpitt Saddler sign showed up and was restored during repainting.