Topic: Brian Boru Hotel
The Brian Boru was one of over one hundred hotels in Thames during the gold rush era.
Established by Mr Sainsbury in 1867, the year the goldfield opened, it was originally known as the Reefer's Arms. A year later it was taken over by Edmond (Ned) Twohill, who had arrived in Thames before the gold rush. Twohill renamed it after the 941-1041 A.D. high king of Ireland.
It remained in the Twohill family for four generations until 1974. Badly damaged in both 1904 and 1905 by the all too common fires in the wooden public houses of the time, the 'Brynie' was rebuilt both times.
The Brian Boru is now one of only four remaining gold rush era licensed hotels in Thames.