Topic: 306 Richmond Street
Cyrus Joseph Brown arrived from Sheffield, England in December 1863, and became an apprentice builder in Auckland. Moving to Thames in 1867, he married his cousin Mary Anne Darkin and built the house for her. There they raised eight children. Two of their daughers were married from the house.
Heart kauri, the standard timber of the time, was of course the main timber used. The style, however, was not usual for the time. The present owners (2006) Robin and Glenise Mechan, became owners in 1999. They have carried out extensive alteratins after a fire severely damaged the building.