Topic: Tararu School
The Tararu school was built in 1877 by Mr J J O'Briens, to the design of Henry Allwright, the Auckland Education Board architect.
The school's appearance remains as first built and there have been only very minor modifications made to the building in recent times. Constructed as a replacement for the makeshift Shellback School, Tararu School emerged as a place of significance in the community and reflected the importance put on education by society at that time. Tararu of 1877 was relatively isolated. The tramway to Thames was no longer functioning, but it was a well-populated residential area with many amenities.
After the school was closed in the 1970s, the building was converted into an Arts Centre and continues to be run by the Thames Society of the Arts (at 2011).